M Christopher's Reviews > Pirate King

Pirate King by Laurie R. King

Mar 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery

It's been awhile since I've been so disappointed in a book. Connie and I have become great fans of Laurie King's series of books about Mary Russell, the young woman who becomes Sherlock Holmes' apprentice and then his wife. Overall, the series is clever, well-written, and a true homage to the great stories of Arthur Conan Doyle.

But "Pirate King" falls flat. I think the reason is that Ms. King tries too hard to match her style and plot points to the central conceit of the story. Russell and Holmes are asked to investigate some peculiar goings-on in a film company in which "the Palace" has invested. The film-maker's current project is a film about a film company making a movie of "The Pirates of Penzance," a play within a play based on the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. The artificiality of the silent film industry atop the artificiality of the D'Oyly Carte musical pervades the book -- plot twists come right out of both rather silly genres and the whole seems to collapse upon itself.

Not what we were looking for from this author or in this series. Both of us read the whole thing but neither of us will read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate King.

March 16, 2012 – Started Reading