Brigid's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

You guys are killing me with the reviews for this one! All over the map! I downloaded the sample and enjoyed it, so I'm going to keep going.

I have read several reviews mentioning that it's anti-feminist because of the way women are viewed in this future society. I have a significant number of thoughts on that, but I want to wait until I've read it first. Then we'll discuss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

09/26/2012 page 50
12.0% "Putting this down for a little bit."
11/06/2016 marked as: to-read

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) Oh, so can't wait to read this one!

message 2: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "Oh, so can't wait to read this one!"

Actually, I wasn't going to read it at all, because I'm a little burnt out on dystopian, but then Dear Author gave it a D rating. As usually happens, the things they didn't like actually inspired me to pick up the book, and I'm intrigued enough to buy it. (Honestly, I buy more books from BAD reviews than I do from good ones. Maybe it's because bad reviews tend to be more analytical, whereas good reviews tend to be more SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :-P)

I've loved the cover since the day it was released, however, and the book sucked me right in. I can sympathize with both Rachel and Logan.

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) The cover is amazing. Sounds like a good book. I trust your judgement for sure.
And I don't even read reviews prior to reading books b/c I don't want to ruin it for myself. Heck, sometimes I add it just because of the cover being intriguing and don't bother to read the blurb!
Enjoy!!!

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Did you finish yet?? I was going to check this out but a little skeptical

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in the same boat. I have read tons of reviews, liked the sample, but still can't decide...
I also do the same thing, where I read the bad reviews because they analyze it better
;)

Jodi Meadows I LOVE this book. (I know CJ very well. She's not anti-feminist at all. The book explores feminism and the treatment of women in this particular society. I'm always baffled when people think writing about a society means the author must endorse it.)