Jonas Drieghe's Reviews > Immortal

Immortal by Gene Doucette

My relationship with alcohol is complicated. Give or take a few days
here and there, I hadn’t been dry since the speakeasy fire in 1922. By all
normal human standards that would make me a raging alcoholic, except
that by those same human standards I would also be dead by now, if not
from old age then from cirrhosis of the liver. But eighty years for me is like
a glass of wine with dinner for anybody else. - Adam

Adam is a thirty-something-year-old mister average with some extraordinary personality traits.
Most of those are the result of the fact that he’s been thirty-something for about 6000 years whereas some are most likely triggered by an abundance of alcohol in his blood.

As an immortal -albeit not invincible- human being he quickly learned that to enjoy his immortality to the fullest, his best bet would be not to die. A trait that is easily mistaken for indifference, since the best way for an immortal to surmount serious problems is to simply turn his back and outlive them.

When things get really messy, Adam slowly realizes that running away is probably no longer an option. Add two measures of females, one measure of megalomaniac and a few slices of magical beings and he doesn’t even have to shake to understand the gravity of his predicament.

Immortal is a fast-paced, historical fantasy novel filled with witticisms and hilarious anecdotes that keep you turning pages from the get-go. Doucette draws a fine line between experience-based philosophy and blunt comedy that only an immortal like Adam can walk … if he’s sober enough.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.

Started Reading