Ellen Keim's Reviews > Red Wolf

Red Wolf by Liza Marklund

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: scandinavian
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The title misrepresents the mystery a little because it's not Red Wolf who's the cold-blooded killer and the main character only briefly thinks that he/she is. It's a good title, though, and I guess that's what matters.

Liza Marklund is a very good writer. I liked her main character very much. I especially enjoyed the inside look at the newspaper business and what it's like to be a reporter. To me, that was the redeeming part of the book.

I do wish I'd read the previous book first because I think an important part of the main character's psyche was missing by not knowing exactly what she'd gone through in that book. However, I do think that Marklund did a good job of fleshing out her characters.

The mystery was good. As a history buff, it was interesting to read about the terrorist movement in the late '60s (which was quite different from what we think of as terrorism today). The background about the Communist Party and offshoot extremist groups made the book richer.

All in all, I recommend this book. It captures the atmosphere of a Scandinavian country and presents a brave, strong female protagonist (for those of you to whom that's important).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Wolf.