Samantha's Reviews > The Obelisk Gate

The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin

I read the first book in this series nearly two years ago and I loved it. It wasn't lack of interest that made me take this long to get to the second one . . .it's just that I'm interested in SO MANY books. Still, it's a testament to the world-building and character development in that first book and Jemisin's light touch on reminders, that I fell so easily back in after a two year gap between books.

It was a pleasure to watch Essun come into her own, both in relationships and in power, and her daughter Nassun's story took turns I would not have predicted, but which I loved. Schaffa's part of the tale also took a turn I didn't expect, one that I found fascinating.

The ending was powerful enough that the third book will probably move up my TBR stack much faster. Bonus points for a woman-centered story with a realistic strong female lead and several amazing secondary female characters.

The storytelling, with use of second person from a specific narrator, put me mind of being told fairy tales by my grandmother. That mythic, historic, symbolic feeling tied with the idea that this story is for *you* specifically (you: the reader/listener) is so powerfully immersive. I hated the rest of my life every time it made me put the book down to do other things.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obelisk Gate.

September 7, 2019 – Started Reading