Carolyn's Reviews > Miles Off Course

Miles Off Course by Sulari Gentill

19559507

bookshelves: 2019, cosy-crime, historical

I really enjoy this historical Australian series set in the 1930s in the period between world wars. The main character, charming and elegant Rowland (Rowly) Sinclair, younger son of wealthy station owners has been leading an artist's life in Sydney and abroad with an entourage of artistic friends, some with communist leanings. Rowland's older brother Wilfred is trying to get Rowly to become more responsible (and respectable) and take more interest in the family business. When their trusted stockman Harry goes missing in the high country of the Snowy Mountains while checking on their cattle operation, Wilfred asks Rowly to go and look for him, unknowingly sending him into grave danger.

What makes these novels so enjoyable is the author's sense of time and place. She describes in detail all the places and scenery that Rowly and his friends stay in the Blue Mountains and on their way to the Snowy Mountains, as well as the types of activities that visitors to these regions would have enjoyed. Extracts from newspapers at the time of interesting events also help to add context and flavour at the start of each chapter. Also the inclusion of real people from all walks of life (political leaders, a snake remedy salesman, artists and a well known author writing under a pseudonym) also helps to ground the books firmly in time and place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miles Off Course.

September 7, 2019 – Started Reading
September 7, 2019 – Shelved
September 7, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
September 7, 2019 – Shelved as: cosy-crime
September 7, 2019 – Shelved as: historical
September 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

PattyMacDotComma SNAP! Just reading this now - still enjoying these people and that era. :)

Carolyn I agree - I'm finding that more interesting that the actual mystery!

PattyMacDotComma Carolyn wrote: "I agree - I'm finding that more interesting that the actual mystery!"

Yes. The mystery is just a good hook to hang the continuing exploration of the times.