Miss's Reviews > Lenobia's Vow

F 50x66
Mar 18, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Oh no the random cowboy from Destined is the reincarnation of Martin isn't he? That is absolutely the kind of thing the Casts would do, I know it. I really hope not because the implications of writing a black dude in love with a white woman, saying they can never be together because of their race, ending the book with him tragically set on fire (!!), and having him reborn again as white for a chance at a happy ending are just too gross for words. Please don't do it Casts.

I found the substance of the book moderately enjoyable. The historical setting doesn't work very well since the Casts put no effort into making Lenobia sound like a girl from the sixteenth century (ex. Lenobia and Martin both repeatedly use the term person of colour and it's an obviously twenty first century way to refer to racialized people). The basic events of the story work fine for the time period but they're all filtered through a twenty first century viewpoint. It felt like the setting was just painted on for colour; its the sort of thing I could see myself writing back in middle school. Also the Casts fondness for depthless incarnations of patriarchy as villains continues unabated.

Speaking of villains, the next of these novellas focuses on Neferet and I find myself intrigued. They have to give her depth in a book about her right? Then again, she had POV chapters in Destined and they did nothing for her as a character so I might be setting my hopes too high. We'll see in July I suppose. 3 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lenobia's Vow.