John De Marchi's Reviews > Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos

Up, Up, and Away by Jonah Keri

U 50x66

I watched the Montreal Expos on TV as a kid. I even went to the 'Big Owe" to see a Montreal Expos game. The book is about the history of the Montreal Expos from the beginnings when they played their first came at Jerry Park to the end when the franchise got moved to Washington, BC. There were some moments of triumphs when the Expos won the NL East Championship and defeats when Rick Monday of the LA Dodgers hit the home run to end their hopes of going to the World Series.

There was a lot of mismanagement which caused the Expos demise. The book gets into players personal demons like Tim Raines with his cocaine use and how he was on track to breaking the MLB record for stealing stolen bases before the strike ended that. The book even talks about The Kid and how he became a fan favorite, Vladi Guererro on his no hitter.

The book is very sad because of the demise of the Expos. I will says this but Montreal is not a baseball city.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up, Up, and Away.

Finished Reading