CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > In at the Deep End

In at the Deep End by Kate        Davies

bookshelves: queer, lesbian, british, humour, fiction, polyamory

4.5 stars! What an incredible book! While at first it started lighter, with very Bridget Jones-esque dry wit about dating life in London (but about coming out as a lesbian), the tone went darker as it explored Julia's first serious relationship with a woman. This girlfriend turns out to be controlling and emotionally abusive. It's painful to watch Julia go through this, which is a testament to Davies' writing. I also loved the friends, family, and job portions of the book. It does have an HFN ending, which I appreciate; I wished that portion was a little stretched out into the last sections of the book, I wanted more of the good things in her life once she got shit sorted out. This book had me laughing out loud throughout. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In at the Deep End.

February 11, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: british (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: new-adult (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: queer (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: lesbian (Hardcover Edition)
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: especially-excited (Hardcover Edition)
September 6, 2019 – Started Reading
September 6, 2019 – Shelved
September 7, 2019 –
page 4
1.19% "I laughed out loud at this:

"Nevertheless, [Leon and I] stayed together, right up until he dumped me just after graduation because he wanted to 'travel the world' and be 'free of ties'. He moved to Peckham three months later and started a graduate training scheme in management consultancy.""
September 7, 2019 –
page 50
14.88% "This book is awesome and hilarious! It's making me laugh out loud like every other page."
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: queer
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: lesbian
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: british
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: humour
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
September 11, 2019 – Shelved as: polyamory
September 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Lex (new)

Lex Kent Great review! I recently bought this one so glad to hear you enjoyed it:)