Ashlee Bree's Reviews > The Roxy Letters

The Roxy Letters by Mary Pauline Lowry

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary

Epistolary novels tend to be hit or miss for me because of how they’re structured, depending on how successful they are at grasping then preserving my interest within their style limitations. This one tottered over the line of diverting mediocrity, in my opinion. It was neither bad nor great. I liked it but wasn’t wholly engaged.

I say that because, while I found some of Roxy’s foot-in-mouth quirks and “fingerbanging” commentary to be amusing not to mention tacitly vulgar, absurd, and endearing in places, all of which helped to highlight her witty shenanigan-riddled nature in spades, I felt the plot suffered a bit by sticking exclusively to one-way letters to her ex-boyfriend, Everett. I suppose I wanted more than what I received stylistically, you know?

What I mean by that is I think I would’ve liked to see her start with letters only to then branch off into other mediums (email drafts, phone notes, unsaved documents, etc.) because it would’ve broken the chain of monotony, thereby adding a kind of modern day technological normalcy and suspense for the readers. It would’ve added something extra. Something more unique. Also, by the halfway point, her continuing to write unsent narratives to her ex, whom she hardly interacted with throughout the book anyway, grew to be a bit tedious.

The love interest subplot felt rushed and underdeveloped as well. It didn’t spark much of a reaction from me because their connection was bland. Or perhaps unremarkable is the better word? Utterly forgettable.

Despite that, I found Roxy to be an amiable, spirited character. She’s cut from a similar mold as Bridget Jones and Anne Shirley, meaning she’s constantly hurtling herself from one Austin-sized scrape into the next without realizing it until it’s too late. That allowed for a decent amount of comedy and familiarity. (view spoiler) Hilarious!

Although I took issue with certain elements of this book, I must admit her character as well as her peculiar circle of Whole Foods friends and colleagues grew on me by the end. Roxy is essentially Millennial Disaster incarnate so I think a lot of people can relate or, you know - laugh - at her “gotta get my shit together” conflicts. I know I sure did.

For those of you who like or are not averse to raunchy humor, to screwball behavior of many variations, then I’d say this is worth a read. In fact, it’ll probably make you feel that your own life is much more “together” than you think it is right now.

Much thanks to NetGalley for providing me with this ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roxy Letters.

September 6, 2019 – Started Reading
September 6, 2019 – Shelved
September 6, 2019 –
18.0% "There's no Daniel Cleaver-sized emotional fuckwittage so far, but Roxy's engrossed in any number of shenanigans. Plus, she's writing word vomit letters to her live-in ex-boyfriend, Everett, that she's stashing instead of sharing.

Interesting, interesting..."
September 7, 2019 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by eleventeen (new)

eleventeen I feel you on the epistolary format.itneeds variance to hold my attention.