Ed's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, 5-stars, booker-prize-short-list, favorites, new-author-to-me, read-on-kindle, tournament-of-books-2012, shared-in-household
Read from March 18 to 26, 2012

Despite living in the now suburbanized wild wild west sprawl of Phoenix, AZ (tho guns still allowed to be carried unless the establishment says otherwise!), westerns are typically just not my thing.

Along with it being short-listed for the Booker (a good personal reading barometer) I had heard good things about Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers, but it was only when it scored an opening round upset over Ann Patchett's State of Wonder in the Tournament of Books (ToB) that it truly got my attention. I was further encouraged by hearing that is was Coen Brothers-ish and/or Quentin Tarantino-esque (fans of both). Both of those proved true with the endearingly quirky, simple-but-wise observationally philosophical characters of the Coens and the tricky mix of violence and humor of Tarantino. While I have been wow'd by a couple of this year's ToB books, I am not sure I have been more entertained by one more than The Sister Brothers.

It is a deceptively simple plot that leaves plenty of room to be be dismissed as a trifle piece of genre fiction. At first, it even just seems to be this random collection of odd vignettes, but there is always this storm cloud on the horizon and it builds to a conclusion that plays out in many unexpected ways, tackling all those great "big-issue" literary stuff like destiny, fate, and karma.

While western genre cliches (a duel, saloons, bawdy ladies of the night) and derivative comparisons (if you're game, you'll find plenty more than just the Coens and Tarantino) abound, there is a uniqueness and originality to this work with deWitt's prose smart, sharp and efficient. And last but not least, is crazy cast of characters headed by Eli Sisters - a reluctant assassin with a whole lot of heart - who enters my pantheon of memorably great narrators.

Rating-wise, I feel like I am turning into a softy. I handed out (or rounded up) two 5-star ratings all of last year (only 9% among all my Goodreads books!) and here I am already on my 3rd one of this year... and it's only March! While many of those 5-stars get there based solely on technical merit, The Sisters Brothers not only has that but gets that personal nudge up based on its originality, entertainment value, and the intangible of being a surprise - in so many ways - of a book that I never would have picked up on my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.