Jane's Reviews > The Mummy Case

The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters

Mar 18, 2012

Read from March 18 to April 03, 2012

I love the Amelia Peabody books. I'm playing catch-up on the series and wish I could simply find a quiet corner somewhere and blaze through them all.

Amelia herself is such a great study in character development--I can just see her stomping around the desert in her Turkish trousers. In The Mummy Case, there's the delicious addition of Ramses, spawn of Amelia and Emerson, now old enough to travel to Egypt with them. I wanted the preternaturally precocious Ramses in every scene.

Mysterious manuscripts, missing mummy cases, hidden royal tombs, pious missionaries. There's plenty here to keep Amelia, Emerson, and Ramses busy. I'm dying to give away the secret, which anticipated a later runaway bestseller by a couple of decades, but I'm not that kind of girl. Read for yourself and ponder.

I listened to the audiobook. Barbara Rosenblatt does a mostly good job of creating the characters, but to my taste, she gives Emerson a blustery almost-dithering aging-country-squire voice that would be better suited to Nigel Bruce's Watson in the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies than to Amelia's manly, masculine husband.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mummy Case.

Shelly Ah! The "terrifyingly precocious" Ramses gets his first real adventure. :) Such a fun series!

Jane Yes, and I adore Ramses. And the series.

Shelly wrote: "Ah! The "terrifyingly precocious" Ramses gets his first real adventure. :) Such a fun series!"