Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > The Night Country

The Night Country by Melissa Albert

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley, audiobooks
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books

"To be honest, I don't know if I've even got a soul. If a soul is what makes you human, then I probably don't. Unless a soul is something you can grow, like, after the fact. And I don't think it is. So. No soul. Just to explain why your pickup line's not working on me."

Tehehehehe. I love being back in this world. If you thought The Hazel Wood was dark, just wait until you jump into The Night Country. This sequel kept all the things I loved about the first book, and brought in a bunch of new characters and plot sequences that kept this follow up feeling funky fresh. I rarely enjoy sequels as much as their original counterpart, but I may have loved this second novel set in the Hinterland even more than the first. What a time to be alive.

"We were predators set loose in a world not made to withstand us. Until the summer we became prey."

This is one of those books where a) you really need to read The Hazel Wood before jumping into this one and b) I can't really give you specifics in a review, because it would take away from the fun of reading the book. However, I can say that the writing in this installment is just as crisp, engaging, and suspenseful as the first one was, and having the privilege to listen to an advanced audio copy has given me the opportunity to encourage the listening folk to make the audiobook a priority. The atmosphere is ethereal and has a dreamlike quality, and the narrator is beyond fantastic. If you enjoyed Melissa Albert's debut, then her follow up story is a must. Highly recommended!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copies via NetGalley and Libro.fm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Country.

September 6, 2019 – Shelved
December 16, 2019 – Started Reading
December 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Chelsea Humphrey пользователь Kindle wrote: "good book ."

Glad to hear it!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer hi

Megan Omg I can’t wait! The first book in this series was one of the first books I read after discovering your reviews on Goodreads, and I ended up LOVING it. So I’m extra excited now that you gave the second one a glowing review! ☺️

Chelsea Humphrey Megan wrote: "Omg I can’t wait! The first book in this series was one of the first books I read after discovering your reviews on Goodreads, and I ended up LOVING it. So I’m extra excited now that you gave the s..."

Ah I love hearing that! Thanks for your kind words, Megan. Hope you enjoy this one as well!

message 6: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Fab review Chels!

Chelsea Humphrey Susanne wrote: "Fab review Chels!"

Thanks, love! XO