bookellenic's Reviews > Red at the Bone

Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson

bookshelves: favorites

Succinct and emotional.

Pulls at your heartstrings, people, you have been warned!

This book, this author... I had heard about Woodson's powerful writing, but had never witnessed it myself until now. Red at the Bone explores the life of an African-American family that was considered unconventional, what with an illegitimate child coming to life and bringing everything upside down. But that doesn't always have to be a bad thing. We meet sweet Melody, said child, as well as her parents, independent Iris and romantic Aubrey, a child born out of marriage himself, and her grandparents- which brings me to this: If you're not convinced about the emotional punch this book packs, wait until Chapter 4. I dare you. Oh, and snatch the audiobook while you're at it, because the full cast of voice actors knocks it out of the park.

The premise of a familiar drama of a marginalized group of individuals with a sociopolitcal undercurrent set in the recent past gave me the same feeling as Celeste Ng books and that for me is a tall order. I will definitely read more of the author's work in the future.

*Digital ARC via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red at the Bone.

September 6, 2019 – Shelved