Jena Henry's Reviews > The Light in the Hallway

The Light in the Hallway by Amanda Prowse

If you are a fan of author Amanda Prowse, you will love her latest book, The Light in the Hallway. If you are not familiar with her books, this book will make you a life-long fan. Author Prowse once again had me smiling, laughing and crying. Her books are filled with sentimental sweetness that will pull at your heartstrings. But her stories are also uplifting and encouraging as she shows how regular people get through the tough parts of life.

In this book, which may be my favorite, we confront big, life-changing problems and sorrows through the lovingly and carefully described details of life in a small Yorkshire market-town. The characters are marvelous, not a cardboard place-holder among them. We grow to love Nick and his mates, his wife, his child, his extended family by seeing them go about their daily lives. Some moments are funny, some so sad, as the book draws you into their world.

The story alternates between the summer of 1992, and the present and I was enthralled with each time period. In 1992, Nicky and his two friends were free to wander the small town and moors and have adventures, and free to learn more about life and their place in it. That summer became Nicky’s “light in the hallway”, his touchstone. The book shines with the sweet and touching details- the boys’ innocent banter, made-up games, their big project. But even that season was fraught with sadness and problems.

Nick in the present day, at thirty-five years old, has the same life of small pleasures, mixed with grownup problems. He loves his wife and son, he works at the local factory, but hadn’t he always dreamed of more? Nick’s life changes when his young wife dies and he no longer has someone who turns on the “the light in the hallway.” Nicky fears that he is lost, but once again, it’s the ordinary rhythm and rituals that guide Nick to a new life.

This is a book where the joy of the writing itself equals the story. I know you will love and remember Nicky and his mates and family as much as I did. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light in the Hallway.

Finished Reading
September 6, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

lisa gillingham Cant wait for release day in november eek