Stephanie's Reviews > Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped

Napoleon's Privates by Tony Perrottet

1940200

liked it

You should not read this book. It's an exploration of "sex, greed, wealth, and weird behavior through the ages," and it will probably shock and appall you unless you are far more worldly than I am which you probably are (I AM kind of a prude), but if you do read this and find it repulsive, don't blame me because, seriously, I just told you not to read it.

Having said that, I found this book fascinating. It turns out that a lot of historical figures were kind of...kinky. Weird. Eccentric. Gassy. Gross. Disgusting. Messed up. Repellant. Human. I don't know if there's any value in exposing the seamier aspects of human nature. Perhaps not. I did, however, have two recurring thoughts as I read this book:

1. I think it's unwise to put people on pedestals. People do dumb, icky and weird things. Pretty much all of them. Those historical figures you worship? Probably not as awesome as you think.

2. Many like to say we live in a time of unprecedented debauchery or wickedness or whatever. Maybe, maybe not. This book makes it pretty clear that those behaviors that so offend us now have been around pretty much forever. I'm not trying to excuse any of those behaviors, just musing that maybe the world isn't really going into the toilet. (We've always been there! HA!)

What do you think?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napoleon's Privates.

March 18, 2012 – Started Reading
March 18, 2012 – Shelved
March 18, 2012 –
page 52
20.31% "This book is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. But don't worry; I'm reading it so that you don't have to. You're welcome."
April 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:48AM) (new)

Leslie Couldn't agree more woman. It is as its always been.