Jo Fetsco's Reviews > Summer of '69

Summer of '69 by Todd Strasser

F 50x66

Lucas is a very recent high school graduate in 1969, with no real plans for his future after the only college he applied to sent him a rejection letter. The Vietnam War draft is looming large in his future, he has no real future plans other than to be a ski bum near his girlfriend’s college, and he has just sent his girlfriend off for her summer job with their relationship not real secure. In order to cope, he works a part-time job at his father’s factory, hangs out with his friends, writes daily if not hourly letters to his girlfriend, and does a lot of drugs and drinking. When starting this book, I was not real happy with it; it was disturbing, although I lived through this time period, so I shouldn’t have been surprised; plus, the narrator made me angry with his behavior and attitudes. Also, it seemed a little slow for the first few chapters. But by the end I was pleased with the book because of the growth of the narrator; I was pleased with what he learned about himself and his family and by his new approach to life, love, and people. In addition, because of his growth he learns to love the previously hated 70s’ slogan, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” and goes on to prove that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of '69.

August 24, 2019 – Started Reading