Maya's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Mar 18, 2012

liked it
Recommended for: patient readers, fans of political fantasy and mythology
Read from March 15 to 20, 2012

The Attolia-series is supposed to be amazing, but mainly starting from book 2. Which is why, when I started reading The Thief, I wasn't expecting anything very impressing.

And indeed, the main problem with this book is that the pace is extreeemely slow. The book is already quite short with only 280 pages, and the first half is nothing but traveling, with lots of landscape descriptions and mythology and pretty much nothing happening at all. I’m sure a lot of readers didn't have the necessary patience to get past the first half, and maybe I would have been more annoyed if I hadn't known that there was much more to come. There really could have been some more surprises "on the road" and I was quite disappointed with the actual "treasure hunt" itself (view spoiler).

Despite this, however, The Thief is actually better than a lot of other fantasy books. The author maybe didn't choose the best way to get readers intrigued by her story, but the character interactions are rather entertaining and main character Gen's voice is very individual. The writing was a bit weird, it seemed unpolished at times with some repetitions especially during the narration parts, but you also get very well constructed dialogues and smart, humorous one-liners.

The Thief didn't overwhelm me, but it shows a lot of potential. The ending mostly made up for the slow start and definitely convinced me to continue with the series. I'm positive that the next book will be just as good as everybody says. For book 1 I definitely recommend preparing yourself to be patient, the book is also perfect if you're looking for something that is rather easy to put down, when you're busy with real life.

Similar books I know are Dragon Sword and Wind Child (considering the mythological aspect, new vs old gods and the role of gods in the story) and Fire (as a similarly slow-paced political fantasy). If you liked these, The Thief is worth a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

Tina Das liegt auch noch auf meinem SuB, ich hoffe es geföllt dir!

Maya die Serie soll ja richtig genial sein, aber vorallem ab Buch 2. Buch 1 ist bisher gut, aber eher ruhig. Bin grad ziemlich genau bei der Haelfte ^^ Mal schauen was noch kommt.