Sophia Park's Reviews > No Exit

No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: university
Read on March 18, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Sartre keeps doing this thing where every line he produces seems to sum up just how our lives work in terms of how we're our own slaves to the opinion of others, and yet we can easily free ourselves if we simply acted with awareness.

So much of this play focuses on how other people can cause us to define ourselves - Estelle going after Garcin being a prime example. It doesn't matter who he is, just so long as he is a he, so she can be a woman. And yet no one created that relation - to her, womanhood is being with a man. Inez portrays the complete opposite; and so our own definitions sometimes require other people but also shape our reaction to other people.

And then there's the whole aspect of their actions on earth, and how Garcin focuses on his legacy while Estelle places the responsibility on himself...just, man. This is probably the best existentialist work I've read, in terms of not boring me and instead giving some sense of what the philosophy means without overtaking the story. The Stranger was good in that respect as well, actually.

In any case, I had to read this for PHL100Y1, Intro to Philosophy, and it was very worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Exit.