Kimberly's Reviews > Apple Cider Slaying

Apple Cider Slaying by Julie Anne Lindsey

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, netgalley, read-2019

Thank you @netgalley and @kensingtonbooks for the review copy of this cozy mystery. All opinions are my own. Apple Cider Slaying will release on 10.29.19. Just in time to be at the top of your Fall / Holiday reading list!!

This was such a wonderful start to a new series. The setting takes place at Smythe Orchards, a family owned, historical apple farm. Winona lives there with her beloved grandma, Granny Smythe, and is anxious to use her business sense to expand and operate a new cider shop. A place where locals can enjoy homemade cider blends, purchased baked goods and even rent out the space for private events. Business has been rough though and Winona needs to secure a loan in order to move forward with her plans. When the banker comes to interview her and take a look around the property he’s in for an unpleasant impression. A meddlesome neighbor is found dead in the apple press. Seems someone isn’t too thrilled about the idea of the farm expanding. Winona must clear their names and find the real culprit before all her dreams are ruined.

The mystery is so well done in this book. I was stumped and totally thrown off by numerous suspects until the big reveal at the end!! Kudos to the author for keeping me guessing and making the storyline totally plausible.

The cast is another huge win for this book. I loved Winona. She’s smart, a hard worker and quite stubborn when it comes to being a sleuth. Her vision for the cider shop was wonderful and it was fantastic to see her community rile around the farm in their time of need. Granny is a hoot. Never underestimate a sarcastic woman with a shotgun! I enjoyed the slow build up of chemistry with the love interest too. Curious to see what his secrets hold and what will happen now that Winona’s ex is moving back to town.

Already anxious to get my hands on book 2, Pulp Friction. I wonder what random rescue animal Winona will take in to fulfill that last random act of kindness.

The book does include a few recipes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apple Cider Slaying.

September 3, 2019 – Shelved