Eva's Reviews > Seductress: Women Who Ravished the World and Their Lost Art of Love

Seductress by Elizabeth Prioleau

did not like it
bookshelves: terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad, non-fic, femenista, herodotus-the-histories

I was hoping for a lot from this book, something about feminism and seduction or how western culture and Christianity have worked against female sexuality. Instead, the first chapter was about ancient fertility goddesses and the next 6/7 chapters are about the reincarnation of said goddesses in the way of famous women that drove men crazy. Essentially its a mini bio of famous women, men that loved them, and how they are the reincarnation of an ancient sex goddess. The same thing over and over again for all the chapters. I made it through the majority of the book, read about Josephine baker and skipped all of chapter seven since I knew something about each of those women. Final annoying thing about this book is that while its wordy and makes you feel like you're learning something I didn't like that it wasn't cited at the bottom of the page. Just a collection of further readings-so I guess its something. I really really wanted to like this book but gosh it was terrible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seductress.

March 18, 2012 – Started Reading