T.L. Barrett's Reviews > The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft

The Children of Cthulhu by John Pelan

I love short stories, and I love creepy cosmic horror. I am saddened that there are fewer places one can run into a short story these days, so when I see an anthology stuffed with a few authors I recognize and many I’d like to meet, then I scoop it up, like I did with this one. I think novellas and novelettes are the optimal way to present a good horror story (a theory proven by this book), however a masterful short story can be very satisfying and a great way to learn about an author who may have an as-yet-undiscovered body of work. In any case, I pulled this book from the “to-read” pile and was not disappointed.

If you are not aware, H. P. Lovecraft was a New England short story horror writer in the early 20th century. His work of cosmic horror created a pantheon of entities (the most famous of which is Cthulhu) that wait to awaken and reveal the true nature of reality to mankind. I first devoured H. P. Lovecraft when I was 14, and it had a profound impact on my imagination. It was a delight to see how other writers were so affected in The Children of Cthulhu.

I enjoyed just about every story in the work with a few favorites:

To read the entire review please go to: https://tlbarrett.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Cthulhu.

Finished Reading