Susan's Reviews > Their Boy

Their Boy by Cara Dee

it was ok
bookshelves: age-gap, bdsm, age-play, daddy-kink, hurt-comfort, mm

I’m really disappointed that I didn’t like this.

This second book is told from the POV of 21 year old Kit, and we of course learned at the end of the previous book that Lucas and Colt were interested in meeting him to see if there was any chemistry.

And when the three meet at one of the kink munchies, Kit is his normal anxious self. He has very low self esteem ever since his parents died and isn’t sure anyone would ever want him. When the two men make it clear they have an interest in him, he doesn’t know that to do with that.

The daddies invite themselves over at Kit’s for the whole weekend and Kit is sure it’s too good to be true. These two gorgeous men can’t be interested in him, could they? But that’s exactly what it looks like. Now Kit just has to believe it….

I was really hoping I would like this more than the previous book because there would be some real daddy kink, but unfortunately I liked this even less.

My main issues:
- I had a really hard time that these guys never really discussed their kink with each other. There are all kinds of levels of age play and I would think that one would discuss if they are in a diaper/binkie kind of relationship or if the daddy kink is more the BDSM kind and there is almost no age play, or if it’s something in between.
- I still REALLY disliked Colt. I don't like sadistic Daddies at all. Not that that was the only issue I had with him. He just got on my nerves.
- I HATED the scene at the end. Now I can do a fake (view spoiler)
- This was way too BDSM-y for me. I’m really into Daddy kink and age play, but I’ve outgrown regular BDSM. And I thought this was more a D/s relationship than a true Daddy/boy one (or Daddies/boy).

This book was a chore to get through and I’m even sad my precious Abel and Madigan were in this. I love them, but I now feel they are tainted by this book (stupid, I know).

I know it sounds like I hated everything, but that’s not true either. I guess I’m even more disappointed because I did like Kit, and I wanted good things for him. I just wanted Colt to take a hike I guess.

Not my favorite series of Cara Dee…. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Boy.

September 2, 2019 – Shelved
September 28, 2019 – Shelved as: daddy-kink
September 28, 2019 – Shelved as: hurt-comfort
September 28, 2019 – Shelved as: mm
September 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Bummer, doesn't sound like my kind of book either :( xoxo

Susan I definitely think it would have too much BDSM for you. :(

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Sanne Oh, I'm so sad. I feel the same way. :( The scene at the end in your spoiler made me sick and cry. I hated this so much. Didn't like the book. :(

Susan Are you going to try the rest of the books in the series when they come out?
I'm definitely skipping them.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Sanne No, I definitely won't read the following books. Skipping them, too. Power Play is one of my fav Daddy Kink books ever but books like this series are spoiling my joy in Daddy books. :( Absolutely not my idea of a healthy relationship. :'(

Susan I feel exactly the same! I loved Power Play, but this book was so not like that one.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Sanne I definitely need some sweet, lovingly rereads now to comfort myself. *sigh*

Susan Oh yes, me too!

message 9: by Zuzu (new) - added it

Zuzu I'm at 56% and skipped ahead to the 80% mark to read that scene that several reviewers have mentioned. I think I'm dnf'ing. I can't ever remember a Daddy being a sadist and it doesn't fit (in my mind) the Daddy/boy dynamic. Colt is an ass.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Sanne I'm not going to rate this book. A sadistic Daddy doesn't fit in my mind, too. I need my Daddies firm, gentle and lovingly. That makes for good Daddies in my mind. :( I'm not comfortable with the whole situation. It was not necessary this way. Punishment is okay, sadistic punishment is okay, too. But I hate, that he fucked him. That was absolutely not okay.So freaking unnecessary. :'( But if the guys are happy in their relationship... well, okay. :/ I'm not happy with it and that's okay too. It's not the kind of connection I understand.

message 11: by Susan (last edited Sep 29, 2019 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan Sadistic daddies are not my kind of daddies either!

I think that's how I got to read more M.A. Innes. I know it's full on age play, but they write the best daddies. So caring and nurturing.

Colt was more of a regular Dom than a Daddy Dom.

And that last scene was just awful. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Zuzu (new) - added it

Zuzu Susan wrote: "Sadistic daddies are not my kind of daddies either!

Colt ..."

Agree totally. I love M. A. Innes and her Daddies. :)

message 13: by Tessi4M (new)

Tessi4M That spoiler sounds very much like something I will hate. And I have learned my lesson after the last Mary C. debacle - this time I will listen to you and stay away from this one.

Susan Tessi4M wrote: "That spoiler sounds very much like something I will hate. And I have learned my lesson after the last Mary C. debacle - this time I will listen to you and stay away from this one."

There are people who didn't mind the scene, but it felt so wrong to me. I have a feeling you would feel the same way. So good decision! :)

Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ Great review! You hit the nail on the head on every single thing that I was thinking while reading this. This left me so disappointed.

Susan Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ wrote: "Great review! You hit the nail on the head on every single thing that I was thinking while reading this. This left me so disappointed."

You too? ☹️
And apparently this series is all about 'The Game', since it's called that.. But it was so awful!! Most readers comment that they didn't like the Game at all (even if they did like the book), so I wonder what Cara Dee was thinking..

Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ Susan wrote: "Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ wrote: "Great review! You hit the nail on the head on every single thing that I was thinking while reading this. This left me so disappointed."

You too? ☹️
And apparen..."

If the remaining books are about it, I won’t be reading them. I contemplated throwing my iPad when I read that part. I serious considered not reading the rest of the book.

Susan I'm definitely not going to read the other books when they come out. I can't handle another one. I still get angry when I think of this one. 😡

message 19: by Zuzu (new) - added it

Zuzu Maybe there will be different games but if it’s to resolve some kind of issue, that may be a no-go

Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ This was definitely not what I expected to read when it included Daddies. I was not a fan. I was so upset.

Susan Zuzu wrote: "Maybe there will be different games but if it’s to resolve some kind of issue, that may be a no-go"

Well, if The Game is chasing your prey in the woods, capturing them, and then having sex with them as some kind of victory, then no thank you. ☹️

Fernanda Gomes I didn't like the first book bc I didn't get why It was a BDSM story, without BDSM?! I took me a while to understand that the issue was two DOMs falling in love. Then I gave a chance to the second and man! That Game was the worst! That was definately a rape, right? I don't get How a woman writes something like that! Just awfull! I don't mind Colt. It was quite fun he messing with Kit's mind considering he ia a sadist. But I would never ever have a relationship with one! For me he is just a spectrum of human sexuality and I am fine with it. And If he's practicing his preferences with people who likes It, it's ok. But that the rape during The Game was way too much and it was when I blocked Colt's out! That's the thing Kit was not enjoying It!

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Sanne I feel the same way, Fernanda. :( After all these weeks....it still makes me so sad and angry. :'(

Susan I will never get why someone would write a sex scene in a romance novel where one of the people involved doesn't enjoy the sex. (Except for in dark romance books, but I don't mean those in this case)

And Kit was just lying there, angry and waiting til Colt was done. It was terrible.

Fernanda Gomes I don't understand how this book is rated above 4!!!