Jamie's Reviews > The Map of Time

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma

Mar 17, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: never-finished, historical-fiction, fiction, alternate-history
Recommended for: no one
Read from March 07 to 29, 2012

After reading parts I & II, I gave up on this book. The fact that this is billed as a time-travel book (view spoiler) left me very dissatisfied. Add to that the confusion incurred by adding historical figures such as H. G. Wells and Jack the Ripper (view spoiler) into a work of fiction... well, it really felt rather random to me. If I wanted to read alternate history/time travel randomness, I'd have read The Man in the High Castle again. But since I thought "High Castle" sucked, I felt no inclination to finish this book.

I even asked the time travel group here on Goodreads whether it was worth finishing, and the silence was deafening.

Can't recommend and won't finish. (Glad I got it from the library - upset that I put off other reading for this.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of Time.

03/17/2012 page 162
27.0% "It's reading like a bizarre collection of very loosely related short stories... everything from Jack the Ripper to time traveling safari-goers to the Elephant Man. (I'm not making this up!)"
03/21/2012 page 267
44.0% "Okay - I am on to part II, and I officially have no idea what the hell is going on in this book. I'm tempted to drop it and move on..."
03/29/2012 page 449
73.0% "Finished part 2 - a little better, but still not about "genuine" time travel...
Oddly enough, nobody has been able to convince me to continue reading this, so I think I'm going to drop it completely."
04/02/2012 page 449
73.0% "gave up on this book"