~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Their Boy

Their Boy by Cara Dee

Until approximately 80 percent, this was a 5 star book for me. I am not a big fan of Daddy/little kink, but I loved Power Play, Madigan and Abel's story, and enjoyed the first The Game book, which serves as a prequel to Their Boy.

This book is told from Kit's perspective, with Kit being the boy of the title. Having lost both his parents and suffered extensive injuries in a car accident, Kit is restless and insecure. He longs to have a Daddy of his own but doesn't dare dream he can have not one but two amazing Daddies: Colt, cocky and sadistic, and his husband, Lucas, who's more gentle and nurturing.

The relationship angst in the story is almost non-existent. Kit's bratty side comes out, but Lucas and Colt are ever patient with their boy. When Kit acts out, his Daddies dole out appropriate punishment.

Kit's ice cream with sprinkles obsession, as well as his furvor to redecorate his entire house to please his Daddies, were freakin' adorable! Kit was very cute when he allowed himself to regress and let go.

The sex is out of this world hot and perfectly kinky. I loved the dynamic between the three men and liked visiting with Madigan and Abel again (Kit and Abel are good friends).

But back to the 80 percent comment: I'm not going to give anything away, but the story took a rather dark turn toward the end that made me uncomfortable. I was riding along on a happy high when all of a sudden, it's like WHOA, what the hell just happened? We have Predators and prey and ... no, this scene, while claiming to be cathartic, didn't fit the tone of the rest of the book.

It didn't ruin the story for me, but I didn't love it and really think Kit could have achieved handing control over to his Daddies in a different way.

Even so, the ending was very sweet, and I am very curious to see where this series goes next. I am fascinated by all the Daddy Doms and littles and sincerely hope The Game remains a M/M series. I am not a fan of series that mix genres, as Cara Dee is unfortunately fond of doing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Boy.

September 2, 2019 – Shelved
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: comfort-healing
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: extra-dirty
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: hella-kinky
September 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Some1possible Looks like you agreed with me. I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I kind of hinted that he said "red," but I misremembered that and took it out from my review.
Colt mentions later that Kit enjoyed the thrill. I didn't not get a sense of that at all. No mention of him enjoying it or being excited. There was one tiny line at the beginning of the interaction about feeling conflicted, but it was easy to miss. Everything he said and thought pointed to the fact that he did not enjoy any of it as it was happening. He was hurting, and it just came across as non-con-ish to me. I'm not squeamish about non-con books at all, but it was such a sudden shift from their earlier interactions/dynamic that it was a little jarring. If Kit's angry, cathartic episode had happened IMMEDIATELY after, then I would have seen the purpose of the whole exercise. Instead, Kit is left confused and hurting, and by the time Colt explains his reasons, I was already bothered.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Some1possible wrote: "Looks like you agreed with me. I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I kind of hinted that he said "red," but I misremembered that and took it out from my review.
Colt mentions later that Kit enjoyed the ..."

I completely agree. Kit seemed agitated and angry. I don't think he said "red," but he did say stop or something similar. He wasn't enjoying it. This was no fantasy, at least not for Kit. And I still don't understand what purpose it served. Kit did give up control, but that's because he HAD to. He was FORCED to. How is that cathartic?

message 3: by Some1possible (last edited Sep 27, 2019 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Some1possible Some1possible wrote: "And I still don't understand what purpose it served. Kit did give up control, but that's because he HAD to. He was FORCED to. How is that cathartic? ..."
I wasn't sure if you're question was rhetorical 😂 I agree though. I have a hard time understanding masochism. I took Colt's explanation of it clearing your head at face value and just thought, "If you say so." I do kind of understand the concept of anger and tears being cathartic though. I still didn't like or truly understand why it all had to go down that way-there must be better ways. I always chalk it up to me just not understanding the psychology behind BDSM, no matter how many books I read (although, Power Exchange by AJ Rose was both awesome and informative).

I guess since my review was one of the first, Cara's PA actually reached out to me, asking me to specify what exactly bothered me. She said Cara finds input really important, so she was going to pass along my answers. She thinks Cara will probably reach out. That's why I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered. I was getting nervous that it was just me and that my reasons weren't legitimate.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Nooo, it was definitely not just you, and I appreciate that Cara cares about reader feedback.

I didn't find the scene disturbing exactly, but I think it could have been softer and gotten across the same idea. I agree that tears and anger can be cathartic, but Colt could have just held Kit and let him fight without the non-con aspect.

message 5: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Super review which makes it totally clear that this isn't for me! Thank you!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Ariana wrote: "Super review which makes it totally clear that this isn't for me! Thank you!"

LMAO

Yeah, this one's not for everyone!

Leelah🍁♋️ Orion I read power play which also has me interested in daddy kink also. Was looking forward to this one, but now you have me nervous.

Btw I stupidly read auctioned first, then read power play... someone should have told me not to do that. Finding out that gray is the same gray had me shook

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Leelah🍁♋️ wrote: "I read power play which also has me interested in daddy kink also. Was looking forward to this one, but now you have me nervous.

Btw I stupidly read auctioned first, then read power play... someo..."

I cannot read Auctioned, absolutely refuse. That one is too dark for me.

message 9: by Leanne640 (new) - added it

Leanne640 Cara mentioned on Facebook that there are 14 books in total and that they will all be MM but she does have a few MF novellas planned as extras

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Leanne640 wrote: "Cara mentioned on Facebook that there are 14 books in total and that they will all be MM but she does have a few MF novellas planned as extras"

That's so good to know. Thanks for the info! And wow, FOURTEEN? That's ambitious.

message 11: by Leanne640 (new) - added it

Leanne640 ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Leanne640 wrote: "Cara mentioned on Facebook that there are 14 books in total and that they will all be MM but she does have a few MF novellas planned as extras"

That's so good to know. Thanks for..."

This is what Cara put on Facebook

“Just an update on plans for The Game Series
(Note that the name of the game is not the title of the book.)

The Game Series
· We’re Starting a Community – (Top Priority, Lucas/Colt)
· Game: “Primal Takedown” – (Their Boy, Kit/Lucas/Colt)
· Game: “The Cages” – (Breathless, Shay/Reese/River)
· Game: “The Funhouse” – (Doll Parts, Oliver/Kingsley)
· Game: “Masked” – (Untitled)
· Game: “The Interrogation” – (Untitled)
· Game: “The Naughty List” – (Untitled)
· Game: “Hold Your Breath” – (Untitled)
· Game: “Cupid’s Arrow” – (Untitled)
· Game: “Four Senses” – (Untitled)
· Game: “The Easter Egg Hunt” – (Untitled)
· Game: “In the Wild” – (Untitled)
· Game: “Hide & Seek” – (Untitled)
· The Prize Ceremony – (Untitled, Colt/Kit/Lucas)”

Denise H. Marvelous review Dani ! I liked it, too. I understood the game in the forest, and they finished that therapy in the shower room, very stunning, to me.. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who liked it ! :) x