M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Windows in the Dark

Windows in the Dark by Sterling Magleby

I'm not a big reader of short fiction, but this collection of 51 SF/fantasy/horror pieces based on prompt exercises caught my eye. The writing is very readable, often with an undercurrent of humour or irony, even in the direst of situations. Pieces vary from what I'd view as stand-alone stories to snippets, vignettes or explorations of concept, with the possibility of fuller treatment.

Pieces I particularly liked included: "Gotta Stay Occupied," "Goodnight Coldheart" and "Blood Precedent."

I read all the pieces over a few days. Probably because of the short reading time, I noticed that the narrator's tone was very similar for many of the pieces. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I found it a bit strange, considering that the stories had such different settings. I wouldn't have minded seeing more variation of voice between the stories. And it's probably better to appreciate them one or two at a time rather than over a small number of sittings.

Worth dipping into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Windows in the Dark.

Started Reading