Carol (Reading Ladies)'s Reviews > More to the Story

More to the Story by Hena Khan

bookshelves: middle-grade, retellings

I adored this heartwarming and wholesome retelling of Little Women from a Pakistani-American family (living in Atlanta, GA USA) perspective for Middle Grade readers (and for all of us who are young at heart and enjoy MG reads). Thanks for the recommendation Afoma! It reminded me a bit of the Vanderbeekers in tone and content.

At first I wondered how I was going to connect the sisters and their personalities to the original but quickly I realized that the author matches the first initials of the names! There’s artistic, youngest sister Aleena (Amy); quiet, musical Bisma (Beth); impatient, independent Jameela (Jo); and beautiful, kind , oldest sister Maryam (Beth). This would make a great gift for a Middle Grade reader in your life! (Along with the movie of the classic?) If you’re looking for a lovely, quick, family-centered read, you will be pleased with this story! It would also be a wonderful mother/daughter read.

Trigger/content warning: childhood cancer (no one dies in the story which ends on a hopeful note).

For more reviews visit my blog www.readingladies.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More to the Story.

September 2, 2019 – Shelved