Britt's Reviews > The Nanny at Number 43

The Nanny at Number 43 by Nicola Cassidy

*I got this book free from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review*

This book read like something straight off of the Investigation Discovery channel. If the shows Deadly Women and A Crime To Remember had a baby, this book would be it.

Speaking of babies, this book literally revolves around 19th century infanticide so if that is something you’d prefer Not to read about, turn away now. This book was interesting in that it altered between several different POVs... and the murderer being one of them. Our murderer, The Nanny, would be sort of like Mary Poppins if Mary Poppins poisoned and suffocated her charges instead of taking them off on far away, mystical adventures.

Yeah. I just compared Mary freakin’ Poppins to this murderous bitch. Who the hell am I.

So. Not only does this book deal in murdering babies and toddlers, it also partially reads in the perspective of the murderer. Sounds pretty damn interesting, right?

Well.

I know every book is subjective and everyone has different writing styles that they like, but I didn’t quite jam with this one. It definitely wasn’t terrible — as I said, the premise itself was interesting as fuck, it’s not every day you read about baby-killing 19th century nannies — but I think it could have been handled a little better. As I said above, this book is told in alternating POVs... and sometimes alternating POVs work really, really well.

And sometimes they don’t.

There were just... so many characters and perspectives shoved into this story. I think reading from the perspectives of The Nanny (duh) and Mrs. McHugh (the housekeeper) were, by far, the most interesting. If we could have just stuck with those two characters, I think the book could have flowed really, really well, and my overall star rating could have been bumped up by at least one star.

But we ended up following a whole cluster of characters, some of whom I barely even remember, and some chapters, as a result, were so boring that I ended up skimming through most of them.

Historical! murder! mysteries! should! not! be! boring! god damn it!

Sigh.

Overall, I just... I dunno. I was so HYPE when I first started to read this book and I wanted to love it. I mean... Deadly WomenxA Crime To Remember? Hello? But... it just wasn’t meant to be, I guess. The style and I just didn’t quite click... but that doesn’t mean it’s the same for everybody. If this book interests you — because, like I said, the premise itself is interesting as HELL — then by all means, go for it!

It just, evidently, was not for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nanny at Number 43.

September 2, 2019 – Started Reading