Hafsah Faizal's Reviews > Once

Once by Anna Carey

Mar 17, 2012

Originally Posted Here

Once is a sequel that once you pick up, you remember nothing of the trilogy's debut. You remember bits and pieces, shadows of thoughts, but in the end, you don't know if its from the first book or another book you read.

At least, that's how it was for me.

I did remember one thing from Eve pretty clearly, though: the ending. The cliffhanger that left me torn and saddened.

Once starts off three months after the ending of Eve. Eve is still trying to forget the events that occurred three months ago, but she can't help it. She will forever be plagued with her past. But suddenly, her past is nothing compared to the present - and her future. I admit, I never saw that twist coming. We went through a whole novel thinking one way, only to have it flip to something else entirely about a quarter of the way through Once.

Despite the twists, the desperate action scenes, the heartfelt emotions Eve felt, I felt nothing. I was on the sidelines, far, far away, looking at everything, but feeling nothing. I thoroughly enjoyed Eve, so it was a major disappointment that Once fell short for me.

Once was a sequel that didn't lack in plot. It wasn't a sequel that suffered from 'second-book-syndrome'. There was just something lacking - whether it be description, emotion, I don't know. I wasn't hooked, or able to sit still and read it. It didn't have that captivation I expected and looked forward to.

And despite it all, I will still read the third installment, Rise. Though the cliffhanger ending didn't leave me 'hanging' as I would have liked to, I would like to see what happens, if only out of curiosity. But don't take my word for it! I've seen some raving reviews for the sequel, and you might just like it more than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.