Bradley's Reviews > Physiognomy

Physiognomy by Jeffrey Ford

Sometimes a book will spoil you and sometimes a book will amaze you and sometimes it will blow your mind.

This one comes close to doing all three.

Think phrenology taken to a full sociological extreme, with abuses of power included, throw it into a land that could be hell, but all it’s inhabitants are so used to the strangeness that they take everything, including architectural explosions created by headaches, in stride.

And the follow a wildly abusive character filled with outright funny insults, watch him self-destruct, bring innocents along with him, and then have him go through a transformative arc.

A lot of these aspects may seem usual in the fantasy realm, but what I’m neglecting in my description is the sheer imaginative force of this world, the people within it, and the amazing richness of every line.

I can easily recommend this for anyone tired of the same old fantasy. This is really rich fare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physiognomy.

September 1, 2019 – Shelved
September 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 6, 2019 – Started Reading
September 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Ethan (new)

Ethan i own this book! been meaning to read it for some time now

Bradley It's worth it! :)

message 3: by Cataclysmic (new) - added it

Cataclysmic Wow, this review even more reason for me to want to read this book.
Looked EVERYWHERE for a copy of this book a few months ago, finally found one and when it arrived it was in FRENCH... UGHHH. Either need to learn French or get out searching for an English copy of this again. haha.
Have really been wanting to read this for quite a while now, thank you for the awesome review!
Jeffrey Ford is a master of the strange, so this will probably be an epic read.
Thanks for the great review and further incentive!

Bradley I'm massively incentivized to read more of him, too. :)

message 5: by Cataclysmic (last edited Sep 08, 2019 07:23AM) (new) - added it

Cataclysmic Bradley wrote: "I'm massively incentivized to read more of him, too. :)"

haha. That's a GOOD thing, right?!
Writers of the strange are, by far, my favorite.
Which do you think is next for you?
The second in the series? "Memoranda" ?

Bradley First I have to find them, then I will DEVOUR them. :)

Honestly? I don't know. PROBABLY Memoranda. :)

message 7: by Cataclysmic (new) - added it

Cataclysmic Bradley wrote: "First I have to find them, then I will DEVOUR them. :)

Honestly? I don't know. PROBABLY Memoranda. :)"

Yes, they do appear difficult to find.
Though I prefer physical books to digital ebooks,
there is something to be said for companies like Scribd.
Found a lot of his books on there, including this entire series.
So, if you can't find a physical book of it, that is an option.
They require a subscription, BUT you can do a free 30 day trial and test it out first.
Then just cancel after you get what you want from it if you aren't interested in a subscription.
Or there's always the library for a physical book, if you aren't looking to buy it. Options!
I may just read this one on Scribd till I can figure out what to do with the French copy of it I ended up with.. hah.
Still hoping to collect all of his books in physical ENGLISH editions, at some point. XD

Bradley I'll keep my eyes open. :)