JenRaye's Reviews > The Last Thing You Surrender

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.

bookshelves: 2019, fiction, historical-fiction, npl

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr
I finished this on Monday and still cannot stop thinking about it. It has vaulted to the #1 spot in my favorite books of the year. I truly thought that nothing would knock Just Mercy down a spot, but this novel did.

Set in the Jim Crow era in the south at the outset of US involvement in WWII, the novel focuses on three characters as their lives are turned upside down. The author pulls no punches when it comes to the realities and affects of war and racism, both at home and in Europe and the Pacific theaters of the war. Parts of the novel were horrifying...and rightly so...war is horrifying...men denying the humanity of their fellow man and treating them as less than human is horrifying. Pitts tells it like it was.

I am so glad I found this on the "new book" shelf at my local library and checked it out. I appreciate Pitt's attention to detail and the accuracy of his portrayal of the events and situations he covers.

This is a MUST read and will be added to my permanent collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing You Surrender.

September 1, 2019 – Started Reading