Meredith's Reviews > The Sun Down Motel

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

bookshelves: edelweiss

Dark, Ghostly, & So Good!

Something strange is going on at The Sun Down Motel.

In 1982, 20-year-old Vivian Delaney stumbles upon a job opening as the night shift clerk at The Sun Down Motel, located in eerie Fell, New York. During her shifts, Vivian begins to notice some inexplicable occurrences at the rundown motel: doors randomly opening and closing, strange phone calls, the smell of cigarette smoke when no one is present. It seems that the Sun Down is haunted. Making things even more dramatic are the creepy customers who come to stay. At the same time, young women in Fell are being murdered. Vivian plays investigator and when she comes up with a lead, she vanishes without a trace.

Fast forward to 2017, Vivian’s 20-year-old niece, Carly, arrives in Fell seeking answers about her aunt Vivian’s disappearance. Carly finds herself doing Vivian’s old job at the Sun Down and also begins to notice the strange happenings at the motel. As she investigates her aunt’s disappearance, she finds herself in extreme danger.

There are so many things I loved about this book. Simone St. James transported me to Fell, NY. The atmosphere is rife with eeriness. The whole time I was reading this, I kept thinking that it would make for the perfect Halloween read. The supernatural plays a large role--I am not the most tolerant when it comes to the supernatural, but it works in this book. The ghosts serve a purpose--not to scare, but to remind of events from the past. Vivian and Carly share some of the same characteristics, but their voices are distinct. The mystery is intriguing and while the plot is not the most complex, I was riveted and could not put this book down.

It was a little rocky in the beginning and felt like a cheesy tv movie, but the more the better it got. I was wholly entertained by The Sun Down Motel and I highly recommend to those who enjoy creepy, atmospheric mysteries.

I received an ARC of this book from Edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Down Motel.

September 1, 2019 – Shelved
September 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 14, 2019 – Started Reading
September 17, 2019 – Shelved as: edelweiss
September 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)

message 1: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Ooh the blurb is intriguing - very much looking forward to your review, Meredith! :)

Michelle Right? I really enjoyed this one too. Looking forward to your full review, Meredith! 💜

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle So glad you loved this, Meredith! I have this on my kindle - can't wait to read it!

message 4: by Constantine (new)

Constantine I will wait for your review. For no specific reason I always get intrigued by books and stories that take place in motels

message 5: by LostKnight (new) - added it

LostKnight Nice!

message 6: by C. (last edited Sep 18, 2019 10:35AM) (new)

C. Meredith! Are you reading one of my favourite Ontario authors, before physical book-buying fans have a copy? Dang those e-freebies, LOL! I won't even read my first edition hardcover of "The Broken Girls" yet because it cost Ron $30.00+ as an anniversary gift last year. When you buy them, you REALLY want to love them. I am glad you did. If anyone appreciates a good haunted house / hotel story, it is you. I had to bug you, not being able to buy a copy myself, for awhile. Xoxo, your friend, Carolyn.

message 7: by Dita (new)

Dita Following along!

Meredith Fiona wrote: "Ooh the blurb is intriguing - very much looking forward to your review, Meredith! :)"

Thanks, Fiona! Hope you get the chance to read this!

Meredith Michelle wrote: "Right? I really enjoyed this one too. Looking forward to your full review, Meredith! 💜"

Thank you, Michelle! Glad you enjoyed it too!

Meredith Michelle wrote: "So glad you loved this, Meredith! I have this on my kindle - can't wait to read it!"

Hope you love it, Michelle!

message 11: by KAS (new)

KAS Excellent review, Meredith ;) Glad to hear you found this read very enjoyable!! I love this cover!! 💚💜❤️

message 12: by Ceecee (new) - added it

Ceecee Terrific review Meredith!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Fantastic review! 😁🌹 I am looking forward to reading this the his to your review 🙋💓

Tammy I agree, Meredith. A perfect Halloween read

message 15: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Great review, Meredith!! Can't wait to get started on this one! 💕😊💕

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review, Meredith ;)

message 17: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina Can’t wait to read this ! Nice to see someone’s review & a good one !

message 18: by Skye (new) - added it

Skye Great review, Meredith! I'm looking forward to reading this ..I loved 'The Broken Girls.'

message 19: by Yun (new)

Yun Terrific review, Meredith! I was reading your thoughts and thinking to myself that it sounds like the perfect Halloween read, and then I saw you thought the same. :) Glad you enjoyed this spooky, creepy read! :)

message 20: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Meredith!!💋👍😉💖

message 21: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Oh my adding this one Meredith so glad you enjoyed the eeriness right up my ally wonderful review XO <3 :)

message 22: by Constantine (new)

Constantine Fantastic review, Meredith. This sounds like a fantastic book as I expected. Glad you enjoyed it. 👍👍

message 23: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Meredith! Can’t wait to start this one!🤗🌸

message 24: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Oh fabulous review Meredith!! I can't wait to read this one I loved her last book!!

message 25: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne  Strong Whoop! Awesome review Meredith ! Glad you loved this. I’m with Kaceey and Kendall! I can’t wait to read this one.

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I'm a skeerdy cat, but you've made this and The Broken Girls sound as if I should come out from beneath the covers. Well done!

Meredith Constantine wrote: "I will wait for your review. For no specific reason I always get intrigued by books and stories that take place in motels"

This was a good one, Constantine! Hope you get the chance to read it!

Meredith C. wrote: "Meredith! Are you reading one of my favourite Ontario authors, before physical book-buying fans have a copy? Dang those e-freebies, LOL! I won't even read my first edition hardcover of "The Broken ..."

I wish I could share this book with you, Carolyn! I hope you don't have to wait too long to read it.

Meredith KAS wrote: "Excellent review, Meredith ;) Glad to hear you found this read very enjoyable!! I love this cover!! 💚💜❤️"

Thank you, KAS! The cover really captures the essence of the plot!

message 30: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Ok, I had NO desire to pick up this book when I read the synopsis, but now I'm thinking I *have* to at least give this one a chance. Fantastic and compelling review, Meredith.

message 31: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence You know I'm all about this one, Meredith! My fave genre....you definitely intrigued me...

Jayme Glad to know it’s worth sticking with! Great review!!

Holly  B Yay! So looking forward to this one Meredith!

message 34: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Fantastic review Meredith!

Debra Fabulous review, Meredith! I have this one coming up. You have my looking forward to it.

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Great review, Meredith! I loved the ghostly feel to her last book, so I think this will be a winner for me!

Meredith Ceecee wrote: "Terrific review Meredith!"

Thank you, Ceecee!

Meredith *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Fantastic review! 😁🌹 I am looking forward to reading this the his to your review 🙋💓"

Thank you, TQ! I hope you enjoy!

Meredith Tammy wrote: "I agree, Meredith. A perfect Halloween read"

So glad you enjoyed it too, Tammy!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fantastic review, Meredith! So glad you enjoyed it. I am reading this next month. Cant wait! 💜

message 42: by jendlo (new)

jendlo Thanks for this very helpful review! 👻

message 43: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, Meredith! I wish I enjoyed these "creepy, atmospheric mysteries"! You make this sound so tempting!

Meredith Julie wrote: "Great review, Meredith!! Can't wait to get started on this one! 💕😊💕"

Thank you, Julie! I hope you love it as much as I did!

Meredith Diane wrote: "Great review, Meredith ;)"

Thank you, Diane!

Meredith Shaina wrote: "Can’t wait to read this ! Nice to see someone’s review & a good one !"

Thank you, Shaina! I hope you enjoy!

Meredith Skye wrote: "Great review, Meredith! I'm looking forward to reading this ..I loved 'The Broken Girls.'"

Thank you, Skye! I hope you enjoy! I loved The Broken Girls too--this is different, but still good!

Meredith Yun wrote: "Terrific review, Meredith! I was reading your thoughts and thinking to myself that it sounds like the perfect Halloween read, and then I saw you thought the same. :) Glad you enjoyed this spooky, c..."

Thank you, Yun! I hope you get the chance to read this!

Meredith Kat wrote: "Excellent review Meredith!!💋👍😉💖"

Thank you so much, Kat!

Kimberly Dawn Wonderful review! Glad to hear this is one I can look forward to!

« previous 1