Behrooz's Reviews > Practical Microservices: Build Event-Driven Architectures with Event Sourcing and CQRS

Practical Microservices by Ethan Garofolo

Poperly describes the core concepts and points out some common mistakes like using Kafka as message store.

However, I won't be choosing microservices architecture for any of my projects until the project becomes so big that tens of developers have to work on the code base. Even then, won't let them grow out of control (like what happened at Uber).

Just recently, I was unfortunate enough to work on one of these projects that supposedly used microservices architecture but it was one of fake ones that is described in the book too. I ended up replacing Kafka with a simple postgres backed queue for background jobs and merged all of the projects/microservices into a monolith. End result? Everybody is happy now from developers to ops.

To be clear, I would definitely use what I have learned from this book if I ever develop microservices but the kind of projects that I deal with now do not benefit from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practical Microservices.

September 1, 2019 – Shelved