Jen's Reviews > The Heart of the Ritz

The Heart of the Ritz by Luke Devenish

bookshelves: library

I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. One of the better historical fiction reads for me so far. Highly recommend.

This is the first book I’ve read by this Author and it was a great read - so engaging that I quickly became immersed in the daily life and happenings at the Ritz.

A number of times when I’ve read about real life activists or resistors I’ve admired their spirit no matter that their acts of resistance when taken individually may have seemed very small perhaps in the bigger scheme of things but they were persistent none-the-less and this often culminated in radical change. The residents of the Ritz were like this - doing sometimes bigger but mostly smaller yet courageous things - whatever they could to support the resistance.

This book had a bit of everything: high fashion, love: friendship, family and romance, emotional blackmail, lies and deceit, resistance and collaboration, all against the background of the nazi occupation of France.

I found the four guardians of Polly at first to be completely superficial and affected however as the story progressed I warmed to them; their struggles and their friendships endearing them to me each in their own individual way. By the end of the book I was almost sorry to be saying au revior to them.

I am very much looking forward to reading Luke Devenish’s other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Ritz.

August 31, 2019 – Shelved