Tiffany's Reviews > The Dog Walker

The Dog Walker by Corwyn Alvarez

2741932

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, netgalley

"Hope is the thing with feathers," Emily Dickinson once wrote. In The Dog Walker, Corwyn Alvarez tells us, with resounding clarity, that "Love is the thing with fur."  She tells this message through the story of Benny, a recent high school dropout who wishes to start a dog-walking business. Benny (unsurprisingly) is an adamant dog-lover.

But the bulk of this book isn't really centered on dogs. Rather, this book details Benny's messed up personal life. He's friends with a drug dealer, a veteran with PTSD, and a prostitute. Once I got that information, I realized that The Dog Walker is a much more grown-up book than I thought it would be.  Flawed characters definitely add interest to this book, however, I think that their personalities tend to bloom into over exaggeration.

This is the sort of book that kind of wanders aimlessly while managing to discuss some profound messages, as if Benny is some sort of Holden Caulfield (from The Catcher in the Rye) who has a more screwed up life situation. I wasn't really used to the aimlessness in this book, so it kind of came off as a bit confusing for me.

The Dog Walker is a book that manages to profoundly change a person while telling them a tragic story.  It might get a bit mixed up, but it's a rare gem that deserves to be (forgive the pun) dog-eared.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Walker.

March 17, 2012 – Started Reading
March 17, 2012 – Shelved
March 17, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
March 17, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 6, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Tiffany thank you! I was hoping for a little more depth in the book, but overall it got the point across