Lunanima's Reviews > Beneath a Marble Sky

8091964
Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance, favorites
Read from May 19 to June 03, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Marble Sky.

Quotes Lunanima Liked

John Shors
“without you there is only me, and with you there is us.”

John Shors
“Ultimately, my love saved me, for my love gave me strength. At night, when sleep was sunwilling to rescue me, I gritted my teeth and devoured my fondest memories.”

John Shors
“I wondered then why children played so in the river, but adults ceased to see it with the same eyes. Why couldn't we embrace such simple joys?”

John Shors
“Loved ones are sometimes taken from us, either by death or other circumstances outside our control. Yes, we should lament their departure and yes, we should pray for them often. But we shouldn't dwell so deeply upon such vacancies that life itself becomes empty.”

John Shors
“Do the strong cry every night for a month? she asked softly.
When they need to, I countered, clasping her hand. Women, Arjumand, women are taught that there's no strength in our tears. But why are one's tears powerless, if those tears lead to insight, or a sense of peace?”

John Shors
“Many fear death. But I do not. For I've tasted the oneness we call love. Death cannot steal it. Nor temper it. No, I'll take my love with me, wherever I travel. And it shall endure.”

John Shors
“Never deny yourself love, my child. For to deny love is to deny God's greatest gift. And who are we to deny God?”

John Shors
“Father once told me that would-be lovers were similar to mountains. Two peaks, wonderfully akin and compatible in every way, may rise to the clouds but never witness each other's majesty because of the space between them. Like a man and a woman from different cities, they would never find each other. Or, if the peaks were blessed, as my parents had been, they might be two mountains of the same range and could bask in each other's company forever.”

John Shors
“For Breezes remind me of kisses. And kisses can be eternal.”