Ash Rocketship's Reviews > Call Me By Your Name

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

bookshelves: 2019, favorites

This was sooooo soooooooooo soooooooooooo beautiful. What a dream of a book and what an absolutely slow-motion gut punch of an ending. I loved the movie and am grateful that I both saw it first and waited a while to read the book afterward. (I firmly believe reading the book first is usually the worst intentional decision you can make, media consumption-wise. You'll never be happy with a movie adaptation if you've read the book already, but you can love a book and the breathing room it allows a story, even if you've already seen the movie. This is the only trivial argument I'll go to the mat for. I'm mildly smart, you should trust me.) Elio's narration is beautiful and moving and such a loving articulation of youth and desire and the foolish ways we trick ourselves into thinking we're opaque to everyone around us. It is achy and satisfying and lovely and I could have spent a thousand more pages with him. What a lovely gift of a book. My only complaint is that I didn't read it when it came out and get to live with it for the last twelve years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me By Your Name.

August 31, 2019 – Started Reading