Kay's Reviews > The Last House Guest

The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, fiction, mystery, thriller

I really loved All the Missing Girls back in 2016, and since then I’ve read two of Megan Miranda’s YA thrillers, The Safest Lies and Fragments of the Lost, but neither really worked for me. With its mysterious death and its seaside small town, The Last Houseguest sounded exactly like my kind of book though. I figured maybe I would enjoy her new adult novel more than the YA ones?

And I did enjoy it a little more than these two, but not to the level of All the Missing Girls. The pace was slow and, while I usually love books that interweave past and present storylines, this one didn’t work for me. I was absolutely not interested by all these chapters from the year before, and I felt they could have been limited to one prologue or chapter in the beginning.

The plot itself was okay, in fact I was quite interested to find out what had and would happen. There’s enough clues and characters and motives to point to a few different suspects along the way, which is always good. However, as the story moved towards its conclusion, I felt the mains twists and revelations were mostly predictable. And I don’t need to have a super unpredictable plot and shocking twists to enjoy a thriller, but here I thought the ones the author picked were not the most interesting.

All of this being said, I really enjoyed the small town feeling and the interactions between the characters. I felt the dynamics between Avery and the visitors were interesting and I wanted more of that, just as I wanted to hear more from the people living in Littleport. I also really liked the dynamics between Avery and Sadie. I would have preferred to see more about their relationship than about the party from the year before.

All in all, despite its flaws, The Last Houseguest was a good summer thriller. And it has one pretty cover; the raindrops are all embossed and the effect is super nice. I just wish I had felt a little more surprised by what was inside.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last House Guest.

August 31, 2019 – Started Reading