Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > The Maiden Bride

Mar 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reads, historical-romance, romance
Read from March 16 to 17, 2012

"Jim, how can you not like historicals?"

"I just don't like the genre. I think it's all the 'I'm the man and you have no choice in anything you do' thing. Or maybe I just tend to hate rape books."

"I finished one that I think you will like. You should give it a shot."

"Is the heroine a simpering idiot?"

"No, she's strong and brave."

"Is there any rape?"

"Not in the bodice ripping sense, no."

"Okay I'll try it."

And thus I was committed. And I'm paraphrasing here a conversation I tend to have about three or four times a year. So how did this one measure up?

************************************************************************************

Hi, my name is Linnae de Valcourt. I am the younger of a pair of identical twins. Ever since my birth my grandmother has hated me. She always thought the yonger twin was evil and should be murdered at birth. Fortunately, I wasn't murdered. But I was treated horribly for all my life. Then, our castle is sacked and my sister is to be betrothed to our family's nemesis. I of course am offered in her stead. I of course go by my sister's name and sacrifice my virtue to my my new husband. Again. and again. turns out I actually rather enjoy doing my wifely duties. of course it's all predicated on on a bunch of lies and deceptions. put on top of that a whole heaping helping of 'woe is me' and I still didn't like the book.

not a one star read but certainly not doing another one of these for at least several months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maiden Bride.

05/25/2016 marked as: read