Heather Noble's Reviews > Ladies and Gentlemen

Ladies and Gentlemen by Adam Ross

Mar 17, 2012

Read from March 17 to 21, 2012

These stories are discerning, disturbing, disarming and sometimes deliciously dark as they depict the lives and motives of those who share our spaces.
Although a book of short stories, it's a page turner as you want to find out not only the resolution to each story but what configuration of character and circumstance will entertain you in the next. And entertaining the stories are, featuring characters with dilemmas and weaknesses they struggle to resolve and hide from families and friends but told with an underlying sense that the author takes delight in observing our species and the intricacies of lives lived in self-deception.
The longest story in the collection is the first and the twist in the tale is the key to looking for other instances of wrong-footing the reader in the following stories. I found myself continually thinking that the situation was not as it seemed and often this proved to be the case as the author teases with snippets of insight allowing the reader to have numerous "i knew it!" moments.
I'm not quite sure why but I thought of Lorrie Moore while reading these; perhaps because of those gently poking fun moments.
Hugely enjoyable and I shall now read Mr. Peanut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ladies and Gentlemen.