Ronja's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, own

Recently the TV series of this book aired in Germany and I heard how some of my friends (didn't read the book) described it as some kind of Borgia rip of. Lots of sex, lies and power. It doesn't do the book right. But I also came to the conclusion that it is indeed just about that. Martin does his job as a writer well.
I really liked most of the book because of the beautiful writing. Of course he overdid it at some points, but over all it was okay.
I like fantasy, but I think a lot of writers can't deliver it believable. I hate it when Fantasy is all about big warriors, with long beards speaking 'fine' and old. I can see the writer behind that beer drinking giant who actually wishes to live in his own book, than a writer who really wants to tell his story.
In this case I didn't see Martin swinging his mace he bought from a medieval carnival, even though his story was pretty old fashioned too. (I could rant now about the role of women in his book, but I think it would be no use)
Let's get to it straight:
I can't stand a story with too many point of views. You finally get into the story, just to be ripped out of it at the end of the chapter, time over time.
Until the story started to drag, I didn't bother. The last 200 pages were kind of building a plot, but the last page didn't even had a cliff hanger. All the excitment that build up ended in a sudden shrug of my shoulders. I am interessted in the characters, but I don't know if I will read the next books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

March 17, 2012 – Started Reading
March 17, 2012 – Shelved
Finished Reading
February 16, 2016 – Shelved as: ebook
February 16, 2016 – Shelved as: own

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ronja ha! I just found out that I just read 1.1 because it was the German vision. How stupid is that?