James's Reviews > Christmas Cow Bells

Christmas Cow Bells by Mollie Cox Bryan

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2019-09-september, 7-arc-giveaway-won

Christmas Cow Bells is the first book in a new cozy series, A Buttermilk Creek Mystery, published in 2019 by Mollie Cox Bryan. I belong to a cozy mystery group where the book was mentioned, and since I was looking to start a new series and had heard of the author, I took a chance. I'm glad I did, so let's get into the review.

Brynn returned home to Virginia earlier this year to open a cheese shop after her beloved grandmother passed away. Unfortunately, after the move, she learned her fiance was cheating on her, so she dumped him and threw herself into a solitary life. Slowly, she made friends, including neighbor Nancy and the three cows she was raising to produce cheese. Then one of the cows gives birth to a stillborn calf and Nancy is killed in a fire, so everything is going downhill. Except - it looks like murder, and Brynn is determined to fix everything in her life before things get even worse.

The series has everything you'd want to see in a standard cozy. The Virginia farm setting is bucolic and comforting. The sleepy town suddenly filled with hate and murders is alarming. The friendships Brynn makes with the locals force to you to question which one is lying to her. The mystery itself is strong and filled with lots of possible suspects. Someone either wanted the land Nancy owned or she knew a secret about them. Which was it? I changed my guess a few times but ultimately settled on the right two people -- not that there were two murderers, but two were involved in the shenanigans occurring behind the scenes.

The writing quality is good. The characters all have depth and feel realistic. Some are mean, some are kind. I wanted to hit a few for the way they behaved, but Brynn also got a little too pushy. On the flip side, she was caring and loving to Nancy's college-aged grandsons, so she was a wonderful main character. As the mystery unraveled, I enjoyed discovering the truth and red herrings. I think the story ended too quickly without a clear understanding of all the whys, but I can't give away the reason as I don't want to spoil it. Some will be covered in the next book, and I will keep reading the series. Kudos to the author for a great start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Cow Bells.

August 30, 2019 – Shelved
September 17, 2019 – Started Reading
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: 9-read-2019-09-september
September 21, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 4, 2019 – Shelved as: 7-arc-giveaway-won

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Tari James, I think the whys that you have might be the same as what I came up with, I'm gonna PM you and see what you think. I was tempted to contact the author because something is really nagging me.

James Tari wrote: "James, I think the whys that you have might be the same as what I came up with, I'm gonna PM you and see what you think. I was tempted to contact the author because something is really nagging me." Sounds good... yes, would be helpful to see if we missed anything somehow.

message 3: by LostKnight (new)

LostKnight Nice!