Sarah Andreotti's Reviews > The Million Dollar Mermaid

The Million Dollar Mermaid by Esther  Williams

U 50x66

it was ok

I wasn't a huge Esther Williams fan, but I like her films well enough to be interested in her autobiography when I saw it at my library while searching for books for the summer #classicfilmreading challenge at the Out of the Past blog.
This was probably the most gossipy autobiography I have ever read. So much so, that a lot (most?) of it seems over-the-top made up. By the time I finished the book, I could count on one hand how many people she actually liked in Hollywood. All of the men wanted to sleep with her or disliked her, the women were jealous or disliked her, the directors were awful, and on and on and on. Any time she had a confrontation with someone, she always reported her quick comeback that shut them up, but they didn't sound believable to me. They sounded more like the perfect replies you would come up with after spending 5 years of sleepless nights replaying the scenario over and over in your head- which is likely what they were because by the time she wrote this book, quite a few of these people she didn't like had passed away and couldn't discredit her. Because of the gossip quality and her obvious embellishing of the facts, I couldn't believe much of the book. I'm actually disappointed I spent the time reading it, because I didn't learn as much as I would've liked and I had other books I wanted to get to. The parts about how they set up the swimming shots and how they captured them all on film was interesting, so that was one positive.
I'd only recommend it so you can see what I mean about the un-truthiness level of this book. I wouldn't read this one again and I'm happy to return it to the library tomorrow.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Million Dollar Mermaid.

August 30, 2019 – Started Reading
August 30, 2019 – Shelved
September 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Thank you for reading it so we don't have to! I remember hearing that Robert Osborne stopped talking to Esther Williams after this book because of how much she gossiped. Thanks for the warning. I'm so curious that if I came across a copy I might just peruse it.