Skylar's Reviews > Claustrophilia

Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake

bookshelves: abducted-kidnapped, horror, into-the-fire, m-m, stockholm-syndrome

This book exceeded my expectations. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a book expecting to read about someone truly awful, only to get a soft core bad boy with daddy issues. I wasnt expecting anything different with this book, but it blew me away. I went into this thinking it was a dark romance. It most certainly is not. It is all horror, and like a gory, bloody, train wreck I couldn't look away. Blake doesn't shy away from the murder and torture. I was shocked by some of the scenes, so much so that I would gasp out loud and have to take a minute just to fully visualize and comprehend the scene. It is beyond a doubt the most gory, shock inducing book I have ever read.

Claustrophilia follows the story of Chris, a young med student who becomes increasingly enamored with the work of an infamous serial killer known as the butcher. He spends his nights in the morgue analyzing the butcher's victims, morbid curiosity and something much more sinister brewing under the surface. Unbeknownst to him, the butcher has been watching him and recognizes a kindred spirit, one that needs to be carefully nurtured and cultivated.

Reading this book felt like such an anomaly. Chris is a passive main character. He is unable to make his own decisions to drive the plot forward. In most books this would be a huge obstacle, but Blake makes the story interesting through the exploration of the human psyche, and the incredibly gory deaths. Even better, he wastes no time with sympathy. It's made clear from the beginning that the Butcher is a monster, and that Chris is of the same breed. If you are looking for a book that shows you pure evil, no exceptions and no excuses; read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claustrophilia.

Finished Reading