Lillian's Reviews > American Royals

American Royals by Katharine McGee

I received an eARC of this book via Netgalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

What if at the end of America’s Revolutionary War, George Washington was offered a crown and what if he said yes? This is the entire premise of Katherine McGee‘s new novel American Royals. Hooked from the first words, I became deeply committed to the modern day lives of the House of Washington. While I was initially drawn to the story because of the alternate history, I kept reading for the political intrigue and drama. If you like me are fascinated by the British monarchs, then by all means do yourself a favor and READ THIS BOOK!

Beatrice is the eldest Washington and the first in line for the throne. Not only is she the first in line, she will also be America’s first reigning queen. She never steps a toe out of line, does everything her parents require of her, all in the name of the crown and the country she will one day serve. Now her parents are requiring her to marry. They’ve given her a list of pre-approved candidates to choose from. But her heart wants someone else.

Samantha is one half of a duo, her twin brother Jefferson makes up the other half. In Sam’s eyes, Jeff is the male version of her elder sister. He can do no wrong in the eyes of her parents or the press. Sam, on the other hand, stays in trouble. She is the “spare,” the extra, the second in line for the throne. No one cares about her, at least that’s what she thinks. She is determined to be the opposite of her perfect sister. Sam is loud, parties, speaks her mind, and lets nothing hold her back. How else can she make an impact on the world?

Nina Gonzalez is Sam’s best friend. Her mother works for the Washington family and has since Nina was little. It is how she first met the precocious princess. Sam and Jeff became Nina’s constant and closest friends. But that friendship changes when Nina finds herself falling in love with the prince. Nina struggles with her feelings of inadequacy, knowing America will never accept a commoner with their prince. Will she take a chance at happiness with him anyways?

Daphne Deighton is the daughter of American nobility and the ex-girlfriend of Prince Jefferson. America’s Sweetheart to the press, Daphne is the perfect choice for Jeff to settle down with….at least on the outside. This girl is nothing that she appears to be. Determined to win a spot at Jefferson’s side, she will stop at nothing til she gets what she wants – a crown. The question is just how far she will she have to go.

Alternating chapters among the four girls’ POV, American Royals is unlike anything I’ve ever read. Twists and turns around every corner, cliched-but-can’t-stop-reading drama, and oh-so-sweet romance moves this book to the top of my favorites list. Nina’s perspective is by far my favorite as she gives a commoner’s view of the palace, political intrigue, and the royals. Beatrice is a close second with her sacrifices and secret romance.

American Royals is a must read and I cannot wait for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Royals.

August 30, 2019 – Started Reading