Candice's Reviews > A Wild Child's Guide to Endangered Animals

A Wild Child's Guide to Endangered Animals by Millie Marotta

bookshelves: nature, kids-nonfiction, own, environmental

A Wild Child's Guide to Endangered Animals: is a well-researched book for both children and adults. Millie Marotta has organized the book by habitat (ocean, forest, desert, fresh water, grasslands, tundra and wetlands). At the start of each section is a brief description of the habitat, followed by the profiles of animals that live there. Each of the 43 species has an interesting written description and beautiful artwork. I love that the author includes animals from many Classes (birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates). Often mammals are over represented when talking about endangered species. Thankfully, that’s not the case here.

At the end of the book you will find a map showing where all the animals live. You will also find additional information about each animal and a list of organizations (mainly in Great Britain) where you can help.

This book was larger than I expected. It would make a nice gift for an elementary or middle school child who loves nature. Pictures are large enough to be used in school settings and I think many teachers would enjoy having this in their classroom. I love that I learned something new while reading this book and occasionally found myself giggling. Millie Marotta strikes the right balance between addressing the seriousness of endangered species and sharing the unique Biology that makes each one special.

I enthusiastically signed up for the goodreads giveaway and was excited to win a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Child's Guide to Endangered Animals.

August 30, 2019 – Shelved