megs_bookrack's Reviews > American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century

American Predator by Maureen Callahan

Important Advice From Meg:

Read.
This.
Book.

My face upon completion:

You want to feel this way whilst reading a true crime, don't you??? Quite honestly, this was by far the most disturbing book I read in October.

American Predator is a nonfiction account of the capture and subsequent investigation of serial killer, Israel Keyes. Fortunately for the reader, this is much more than a droll portrayal of one monster's heinous crimes. This is a compelling recounting of the investigation of his case, beginning with his final kill and going backward through time.

I thought this was a clever formatting choice by the author. It made the story seem more like you were part of the investigation versus starting at the beginning of his life and moving forward that way.

Reading about Israel was completely disturbing for me. Here was a man, a contemporary of mine, born in the same year, and to walk through his crimes was shocking. The fact that he traveled extensively in the state where I was living at the time was the icing on the cake.

His level of arrogance yet ability to plan and to leave no evidence was bone-chilling. He used his knowledge of surveillance and technology to constantly fly under the radar. One would think his arrogance could possibly make him slip up but it never really did until the final case when it seems things were beginning to unravel a bit.

Making the case even more disturbing was the seemingly random selection of his victims. There's so much more but I don't want to give anything away.

In short, read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Predator.

August 29, 2019 – Shelved
August 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 5, 2019 – Started Reading
October 6, 2019 –
page 53
October 6, 2019 –
page 106
37.19% "I am obsessed with this!!! Great formatting for this gruesome true life tale."
October 9, 2019 –
page 147
October 9, 2019 –
page 198
October 10, 2019 –
page 222
October 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine The most meticulous serial killer of this century and I've never read his name before? I'm definitely intrigued.

megs_bookrack Catherine wrote: "The most meticulous serial killer of this century and I've never read his name before? I'm definitely intrigued."
YEP! Exactly. You should read it!

message 3: by Dita (new)

Dita Okay, I'm in!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Okay, I'm in!" Girl, you will LOVE it! I am loaning it to a friend and buying a copy for my Dad. It's that good.

message 5: by Dita (new)

Dita megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Okay, I'm in!" Girl, you will LOVE it! I am loaning it to a friend and buying a copy for my Dad. It's that good."

Squeeeeeeeeeee! You've convinced me!

message 6: by Dita (new)

Dita I heard about him on Sword and Scale...he was a sick sick ticket!!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "I heard about him on Sword and Scale...he was a sick sick ticket!!" I listened to s few episodes of that but definitely missed this one. I will have to go back and find it!

message 8: by Dita (new)

Dita Enjoy...that one and the one with the guy who went crazy on the bus and started eating the dude he just killed are imprinted forever.

Oh, and Luca Magnotta!! *shiver*

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I agree! READ THIS BOOK. It was seriously terrifying!!!! And SO GOOD! Great review Meg!

megs_bookrack Liz wrote: "I agree! READ THIS BOOK. It was seriously terrifying!!!! And SO GOOD! Great review Meg!" Thank you, Liz! I am recommending it left and right!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Enjoy...that one and the one with the guy who went crazy on the bus and started eating the dude he just killed are imprinted forever.

Oh, and Luca Magnotta!! *shiver*"

Oh, damn! I think I missed the bus eating incident as well. Obviously I need to revisit this podcast.

message 12: by Dita (new)

Dita megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Enjoy...that one and the one with the guy who went crazy on the bus and started eating the dude he just killed are imprinted forever.

Oh, and Luca Magnotta!! *shiver*"
Oh, damn! I th..."

Mike Boudet would not approve...

message 13: by Abhishank (new) - added it

Abhishank Sahu I am meaning to read this, I am glad you liked it :)

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Enjoy...that one and the one with the guy who went crazy on the bus and started eating the dude he just killed are imprinted forever.

Oh, and Luca Magnotta!! *s..."
😲😰😱😀😂

megs_bookrack Abhishank wrote: "I am meaning to read this, I am glad you liked it :)" You really should!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

message 16: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha I need to get to this one!

megs_bookrack Trisha wrote: "I need to get to this one!" You definitely should, Trisha!

message 18: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review megs!😉💞💋👍

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review megs!😉💞💋👍"
Thank you, Kat! 🥰❤

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I want to read this so much, but honestly the Wikipedia is scary enough to make me start pushing furniture against my door! I am still deliberating! Thanks for braving this for us! I hope you can sleep!

megs_bookrack Jenna wrote: "I want to read this so much, but honestly the Wikipedia is scary enough to make me start pushing furniture against my door! I am still deliberating! Thanks for braving this for us! I hope you can s..."Hahaha! It's true. I studied this type of crime in school though, including crime scene photos, so I'm sort of used to it. It is definitely disturbing to think about though.