K.'s Reviews > It Sounded Better in My Head

It Sounded Better in My Head by Nina Kenwood

Trigger warnings: parental separation, mentions of cheating, alcohol abuse, vomit.

Well, this was thoroughly delightful. The time between finishing high school and university placements coming out is a very weird time in any Australian teen's life, especially when you've got Christmas and New Year jammed in the middle of it. You don't know what the future holds and where you fit in because you feel like everything is up in the air. And when Natalie's parents add in an announcement that they're separating, which completely blindsides her, everything feels like it's snowballing.

What follows is a sweet YA romance about a girl who's not sure of her place in the world and who's not entirely comfortable in her own body after years of terrible acne exacerbated by her PCOS. Natalie's voice is very relatable. I loved the characters. I really liked the dialogue. If there's one thing about it that I would have wanted done differently, it would have been for it to be at least 50 pages longer because it feels just veeeeery slightly too short. But as a debut? It's pretty great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Sounded Better in My Head.

August 29, 2019 – Started Reading