Angela's Reviews > The Hunt

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

There are many dystopians out in the world. So how can one like The Hunt stand out? It’s simple; include vampires, survival/killing contest (yes, a déjà vu of The Hunger Games) and likable characters. The Hunt managed to incorporate all of these elements, making it an satisfying read for those who are experiencing The Hunger Games fever.

In some ways, The Hunt is too similar to The Hunger Games. I mean, the title is named after what the survival/killing contest is called. People are selected by lottery to participate in the killing spree. The protagonist lives a sucky life.

But that is pretty much where the similarities end. After those points, The Hunt deviates to a more original and mature killing contest. It is vampire against vampire and humans. Pretty much, it’s a three way killing spree. No one is safe in the arena, making it a most gory killing spree, right?

Wrong! Most of the book is the build up to the literal “Hunt” that happens. Oh yes, there is another similarity. Much politics is incorporated into the plot of The Hunt. Lessons to be learned: there is always a reason behind coincidences. Nothing is a coincidence. This is the blood of The Hunt. Everything in this world is controlled and there is always a purpose behind every little event and detail. In summary, The Hunt is a thrilling novel that must be read carefully, no matter how addicting it becomes.

The world of The Hunt is extremely well developed. As mentioned before, nothing is coincidental. Each event is one to make it be able to compare to The Hunger Games. Is it better than the latter? No because it lacks the shock that it gives most first time readers. I mean, the killing thing is so three years ago. Although... Most of these participants are not children. But the ones that are to be killed and eaten are humans... so... I guess it sparks a tender spot in one’s heart. The humans might also be teenagers...... I guess I will leave it up to you, the reader, to decide whether this world is one for keeps or for dumping in the landfill.

Gene, the protagonist, is a likable character who makes an extreme number of mistakes. It is rather laughable to watch Gene fail and succeed when his life depends on his choices, which usually are bad ones that he fixes rather smoothly. However, Gene is a stereotypical boy in the YA world. Smart, handsome and charming is he. I guess one must learn to accept this, regardless of how clichéd it is.

Ashley, the girl Gene likes, is an interesting addition. At first, she seems to be useless. However, it is discovered that there is more to her than what meets the eye. She was a great character that gained my respect. She’s humorous, brave and ten times smarter than Gene. I am still shaking my head over the countless times she saves him.

The Hunt is a great addition to one’s dystopian reads. Full of action, darkness and a cliffhanger that will leave you dying for the sequel, The Hunt is worthwhile read.

--Thank you St. Martin’s Griffin and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review The Hunt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.