Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)'s Reviews > Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England

Once Upon a Dickens Christmas by Michelle Griep

See full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

I have enjoyed each of the three stories in this charming Dickens Christmas collection. The first two stories, 12 Days at Bleakly Manor and A Tale of Two Hearts each were first printed on their own. The new story in this collection is The Old Lace Shop. Since I have previously reviewed (and loved) the first two stories on their own, I will focus my attention on this review primarily with the new story, The Old Lace Shop.

Right from the very first page our heroine, Bella captured my sympathies and my heart. She chose to rise above the situation she found herself in and grab life by the reigns. Unconventional and determined, Bella is a strong heroine. I enjoyed watching her grow in this story.

Edmund Archer kept me on my toes. One moment I liked him, and the next I wanted to purse-whomp him. He was full of surprises! He isn’t the picture-perfect hero, he has his flaws. But just maybe that is what makes him so endearing, and unforgettable.

The setting of the story, while industrial, and dreary in its drab corner of England, is lit by its vivacious characters that rise above the backdrop and add color and life into their surroundings. I appreciate the fact that the author invites us into a less seldom view of a Victorian Christmas.

This collection of stories makes the perfect gift for the book-lover on your list and it is sure to become your new favorite Christmas tradition!

(I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Dickens Christmas.

August 28, 2019 – Shelved